Sukhothai Loy Krathong and Candle Festival 2019 at Sukhothai Province on November 2–11
in Tourist Attraction on 24/10/2019
Sukhothai Loy Krathong and Candle Festival 2019
November 2 – 11, 2019
The Sukhothai Loy Krathong and Candle Festival 2019 takes place on November 2 to 11 at the Sukhothai Historical Park. Daily activities include:
- Ceremony to welcome the Dawn of Happiness, offering dried food to Buddhist monks at Saphan Bun, Wat Traphang Thong at 5:55am.
- Exhibition at Lan Pho at the back of Wat Chana Songkhram.
- Lan Thet Lan Tham (sermon of the Great Birth) at Dong Tan at 1:00pm.
- Talat Laek Bia (the ancient market throwing back to the Sukhothai Era), Folk Sports Show, Sword and Staff Fighting Show, Thread-wound Fist Thai Boxing Show at Sala Si Lang (The Four Pavilions) at 4:00pm.
- Traditional Thai Music Performance at Wat Chana Songkhram (on Khon performance stage) at 5:00pm.
- Khao Khwan Wan Len Fai (Sukhothai Gala Dinner) on the grounds in front of Wat Maha That, Sukhothai Historical Park at 5:30pm.
- Light and Sound Performance at Wat Maha That at 7:30pm.
- Khon Performance, Joe Louis Traditional Thai Puppet Show, Lakhon Nok (play performed by all male), and Lakhon Nai (play performed by all female) at Wat Chana Songkhram at 8:30pm.
- Fireworks Display at the pond of Wat Sa Si (Traphang Trakuan) at 8:30pm.
- The Legend of Thao Si Chulalak Performance at the pond of Wat Sa Si (Traphang Trakuan) at 10:30pm.
- Fireworks Display at the pond of Wat Sa Si (Traphang Trakuan) at 11:00pm.
On November 11 (Loy Krathong Day), there are additional activities:
- Procession around Sukhothai City to invite the Royal Inauguration Flame and Lanterns at 8:00pm. (prepare the procession at 2:00pm.).
- Royal Procession, Tradition and Culture Processions of 9 districts, and a Procession of Nang Nopphamat.
- Floating the Royal Krathong and Lantern by the Chairman of the Ceremony to mark the auspicious occasion at the pond of Wat Sa Si (Traphang Trakuan).
In addition, there is a nightly ‘light and sound performance’ taking place on the grounds in front of Wat Maha That, Sukhothai Historical Park, on November 2 to 11, at 19:30 hrs. On November 11, there is an extra show at 21:30 hrs. The tickets cost are Baht 1,200; Baht 900; and Baht 600. Meanwhile on the same venue, the Khao Khwan Wan Len Fai Samrap Samran Ahan Sukhothai (Sukhothai Gala Dinner) takes place on November 2 to 11, from 17:30 – 19:15 hrs., Baht 900 per person (30% discount on November 3 to 8, www.thaiticketmajor.com).
For more information, contact TAT Sukhothai Office at 055-616-6228-9, or TAT Call Center at 1672. Reserve and Purchase Light and Sound Show Ticket at www.thaiticketmajor.com/performance/loy-ka-tong-festival-sukhothai-2019.html.
Text Credit : Tourism Authority of Thailand, ThailandFestival.org
Photo Credit : TAT Sukhothai fanpage